In High School, I was partnered with this fag in Chemistry who would bring his guitar to class and play Dave Matthews songs. One day he asked me,
"Dude do you like Dave?"
"No, not really," I responded.
"Dude you really don't like Dave? Are you serious?"
"I mean I liked that first song he came out with back in the day but I never really got into his music."
"Dude and his concerts are so awesome. Everyone is so drunk and high and stuff and like everyone is so cool."
"That's cool man."
I think he must have thought I liked Dave because I was a white guy who went to 'A Dominican College Preparatory High School.' I don't have anything against Dave or his Band, I think they're pretty good. However, their general fan base is not one with which I connect. I am certainly stereotyping here but it appears to be spoiled suburbanite, upper middle class douchemasters - like those who would bring their guitar to class to play Dave tunes.
At this time I was immensed in a world of getting high and listening to things like Pharoahe Monch, Dr. Dre, Mos Def, Pink Floyd and The Doors just to name a few. I couldnt understand why others didn't like stuff because it was so awesome, especially high. I guess a lot of people couldn't connect to music geared towards a diverse, up-and-coming middle class mixed with stoner weirdo fan base.
The things I love most about music is that it consistently pops up in my most vivid and random memories. My Dad would be playing Dark Side of The Moon for me as a child and I would say "Play it again, play it again." Sitting in my piece of shit Aerostar with my Mom when Keep Ya Up by Tupac came on B96 and she goes, "Hey thats Marvin Gaye in the background"...I didnt know who that was but I was glad that we could both enjoy the song for different reasons. Being really high and downloading NaS is Like on Napster. The DJ Premier beat with NaS spitting over it was so insane I had to turn it off. Dancing to the Kanye mixtape in the NIU dorms before College Dropout dropped and really put Chicago on the map.........
The music we listen to seems to be a reflection of our upbringing. Q-tip summed up this feeling best:
Back in the days when i was a teenager
Before i had status and before i had a pager
You could find the abstract listening to hip hop
My pops used to say it reminded him of be-bop
I said, well Daddy dont you know that things go in cycles
The way the Bobby Brown is just ampin like Michael
All music is inherently good, except anything played on KISS FM. So don't call someone a fag just because they like Dave a little too much.
Friday, February 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment